[Neuroscience] Re: New Scientist article: "Are child abuse andschizophrenia linked?"

John H. j_hasenkam at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jun 23 00:14:13 EST 2006

Konstantin and Peter,

A couple of years ago I was at a conference here in Brisbane and one of
the speakers said something that I still remember in spite of
forgetting just about everything else ... . He stated that withdrawing
omega 3's from their lab rat diets induced schizophreniform like
symptoms and reintroducing these fats stopped this. No, not saying it
is dietary, but if you look at the work of Pfieffer and Hoffer,
admittedly "out there", there does seem to be some evidence to suggest
that dietary intake is an important modulator of cns function (like
der, wanna take bets on how often this side of things is investigated
at the clinical level?).

Now omega intake directly impacts on prostaglandin synthesis, and if
Horrobin is correct when he asserts that the main driver of PLA 2
synthesis is D2 occupation, a new perspective emerges. (AT Harvard
Andrew Stoll has also demonstrated that omega 3's can be important in
depression, bipolar disorder, and possibly schizophrenia.) Given the
PLA2 is a precursor for arachidonic acid synthesis, and this
contributes significantly to inflammation, and given Pollmacher's
findings of prior to psychotic attack a level of cerebral inflammation
exists, and given that omega 3's have demonstrated remarkable
anti-inflammatory and sometimes neuroprotective properties, and given
another study showing high levels of autoantibodies to hsp60 in
schizoprhenia(big marker of sustained inflammation), and ventricular
enlargement, and some evidence of phospholipid dysfunction.  Well hell
folks, it is getting hard to avoid the assumption that in some cases at
least there exists a subtle form of neuroimmune driven inflammation.

Another interesting angle to consider in relation to diagnosis is the
differential in various countries, some countries seem to be biased
towards diagnosing psychosis, some cultures seem to facilitate it, and
obviously the clinical training of clinicians is affecting the
diagnostic procedure.

Peter,

the trouble with our accs is these are so limited, it takes a lot of
training and patience to learn to appreciate the multiplicity of
causative factors and to recognise that it is only because we are so
stupid that we so often resort to simplistic explanations.
Incidentally, training can improve short term memory and just about any
cogntive function, even working memory capacity, though I must confess
I have always found that 7 +- 2 explanation a little wanting ... . Any
hints on how to improve our accs????

Mad and proud of it,

John.