Consciousness, New Thinking About

tony.jeffs tony.jeffs at ntlworld.com
Wed May 29 06:30:18 EST 2002

"JGC9" <jgcasey at hotkey.net.au> wrote in message
news:3cf40080_1 at news.iprimus.com.au...

> The only difference between wolves and humans is
[we?]> will can process data more effectively and therefore
> can make better decisions.
>
> There is no evidence that any behaviours are not
> determined by brain processing.
>
> John

So the difference  between humans and wolves is not one of  'free will', but
of degree of processing capability. I agree with that..
If we assume that consciousness is related to processing capability, then,
we can conclude  that humans are more conscious than wolves .... and wolves
are more conscious than rocks.
If on the other hand we assume that consciousness is not related to
processing capability, then we can't rule out the possibility that all three
are conscious.

What are the necessary criteria for something not to be conscious?

Tony