modelling intelligence

John H John at faraway.com.au
Sat Jun 30 01:57:54 EST 2001

> Poster's Note:
> The Jones Unabridged Dictionary of Neuroscience is available free of
> charge, and is worth exactly what you pay for it.

Rather self deprecating given the comments on iq. If they took Einstein's iq
as a child they would have (and some did) label him as slightly retarded.

Richard Feynman, many years ago voted the most intelligent man in the world
(now that's an interesting judgement in itself), did an iq test as a child
and scored 125.

Lee Smolin, now a professor of physics, was told repeatedly by his teachers
not to bother with science because it was too hard for him. He failed
chemistry at high school or under grad and had to repeat.

The idea that intelligence just relates to some innate ability meets with
considerable difficulty when considering that most creative breakthroughs
require tremendous dedication. As one quip noted, "genius is perseverance in
disguise."

Matt's suggestion of talking to people to determine their intellectual
acumen has much going for it. I have seen many people who show very good
'test' intelligence but otherwise ... .

I am currently co-collaborating with two whiz kids on some science projects.
Many of us would benefit from learning their discipline for hard work.
Remember, Einstein spent 9 years on his first formulation, most of us are
flat out lasting one week on a difficult problem. Do not mystify
intelligence, sometimes, if not often, it emerges because of sheer diligence
of the individual.

There are innumerable cases of individuals written off intellectually who
have made important developments. If we rely on iq testing we are ad hoc
excluding the best minds from particular disciplines. Nice simple tests
would be nice  but in intelligence as in most things it just ain't that
simple. It takes intelligence to appreciate that.

I've just returned, glad to see you're still kicking around Matt. Help us
poor  laypeople understand!

Regards,

John H.

news:jonesmat-2906011126040001 at oberon.physiology.wisc.edu...