Are men really brain damaged at birth?

maxwell mmmaxwell at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 29 21:42:22 EST 2001

Marielle Fois <im99_foa at nada.kth.se> wrote in message
news:Pine.SOL.4.30.0106300045001.6299-100000 at my.nada.kth.se...
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Brian wrote:
>
> > "Marielle Fois" <im99_foa at nada.kth.se> skrev i melding
> > news:Pine.SOL.4.30.0106291701480.2911-100000 at my.nada.kth.se...
> >
> > > I have read a couple of articles that suggest this difference
between
> > > men and women. In reality, the difference was not between women
and
> > > men itself, but between individuals exposed to higher and lower
> > > levels of testosterone. In their studies, women that had been
exposed
> > > to higher levels of testosterone during their lifes seemed to
develop
> > > better spacial skills. Thus, they proposed that men develop
better
> > > spacial skills because they are evidently exposed to higher
levels of
> > > testosterone than women are.
> >
> > I've read something similar.
> > But it is not just testosterone, but also estrogene.
> > I think that the level of these hormones are essential for the
developement
> > of male and female babies.
> > One theory is that the sex is decided pretty much at the beginning
and that
> > the mothers body respond by raising/lowering the level of the
hormones.
> > Sometimes the mechanism is interrupted and the child will develope
> > 'male' brain in a 'female' body - hence the idea of living in the
wrong
> > body.
>
> Could you give links to the theory you mention? Yesterday I read an
> interesting discussion titled "Does the Fetus Begin as Female?" at
>
>   http://research.umbc.edu/~korenman/wmst/fetus.html
>
> in which the topic of development of sex in fetusi is discussed.
>
> Marielle

Marielle-- the 'default' setting for fetal mammalian sex determination
is female.
One way in which this is proven is in the case of "androgen
receptor insensitivity."
This is where the cells' receptors for testosterone do not work.
If this occurs in an XX fetus, the growth is of a female body-type.
If this occurs in an XY fetus, the growth is of a female body-type,
but the gonads inside the abdomen are in fact testes.

Just popping in for a minute-- the following page looks okay:
http://www.biology.ucsc.edu/~barrylab/classes/animal_behavior/SEX_DEVO
.HTM#anchor792588