Are men really brain damaged at birth?

Dani danielle at nospam.arcticmail.com
Wed Jun 27 22:27:09 EST 2001

Brain.com
"Are men really brain damaged at birth?"
http://brain.com/about/article.cfm?ID=21105&cat_ID=12

It's a nice article for a little malebashing (my favorite
new hobby), it's -very- suspicious to me. First, the author didn't bother
with informing us about any studies that support the callosal brain sex
dimorphism which he posits. No cites, no refs, I guess we'll just take his
word for it.

And consider this passage...

"Testosterone is mildly damaging to the nerve fibers in the corpus callosum
in baby boys. The connecting link between both halves of the brain in baby
girls is left totally intact."

Now how does one go about determining this putative callosal dimorphism in
babies? Open their heads and put a ruler on the brain? No. MRI? No, that's
not powerful enough to discern whether or not there's a sex dimorphism of
any part of the brain. I'd -really- like to know the technique used here and
what age the babies were when tested and how they know for certain that it
was testosterone that did the bad business. And some other stuff as well.

Moreover, the majority of studies that have been performed in the last 10 to
15 years have failed to find a difference between male and female corpus
callosums.

So, what do you guys think?

Danielle

ps. how do you spell "callosal"? did I get it right? :-)