REM Sleep And Learning

maxwell mmmaxwell at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 14 08:43:20 EST 2001

yan king yin <y.k.y(at)lycos(dot)com> wrote in message
news:9ga30f$son5 at imsp212.netvigator.com...
> Thanks for citing the references. Both papers show evidence that there
> is consolidation during sleep, but the results may be confounded by a
> general decline in performance due to lack of sleep. Anyways, Im
> thinking how to incorperate these findings into my theory about
sleep...

> After considering the phenomenon of "rebound" (lack of sleep
compensated
> by sleeping more later), it seems that sleep may consist of both
creation
> and elimination of synaptic connections. Thus rebound means that too
much
> synapses have accumulated that need to be cleared up.
>
> Any thoughts? =)

Rebound *may* relate to 'clean up' but this notion would not be
supported by
one of activity-maintained (as in Hebbian) connectivity. Rebound sleep
often
has much higher density of REM activity-- more likely for making then
'breaking,'
as it were.

HTH,
-maxwell