Some more advice (Re: The message from SEXOMATIC CONTAINS A TROJAN)

Unit 180 Unit_CLXXX at SputSouth.com
Thu Jun 14 08:05:26 EST 2001

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001 16:59:09 -0400, "maxwell" <mmmaxwell at hotmail.com> wrote,
in bionet.neuroscience:

>Theophilus Samuels <theophilus.samuels at btinternet.com> wrote in message news:9chgts$mpf$1 at neptunium.btinternet.com...
>> Do not under any circumstance run the attachment associated with this post.
>> I was very suspicious that this TOTALLY inappropriate message contained
>> something malicious and a quick virus-scan revealed a hidden trojan virus.
>>
>> This person should be banned completely.
>>
>> T.L.S.
>
>Banning does not protect the clueless user from opening unscanned attachments
> that arrive from other addys/sreen names, however much the intention is merited.
>Remember also, that infections can arrive from trusted sources, unknowingly,
> and even the best buttoned-up system *can* be gotten to, at times.
>If you're not backed-up, you'll regret it, whether it's the HD or a 'critter'
> that brings your system down.
>Best to do your i-net work on a 'dispisable,' truth to tell.
>Opening _anything_ without scanning with an AV having fully-updated signatures
> is jst rolling the dice.
>Sooner or later, they _will_ come up craps.
>Of course, since there's now been self-opening exploits sent 'round in html
> mail, even scanning won't necessarily suffice.

  Good advice. In addition, I highly recommend:

  1. Kaspersky AntiVirus, broadest range of protection I know of;
     uses heuristics and not just set virus detection (and will
     get those morphy ones). It's taking up less than 5 MB on
     my system. Scans mail and news databases, too.
     www.kaspersky.com
     It's been rated best overall multiple times by the industry
     (see http://www.kaspersky.com/awards.asp ) AND by hackers
     (which I consider a higher accolade then PC Mag, et al).

  2. turning off html for reading news and email
     (and for the sake of the net, *don't* post news in html! <G>)

  3. be sure you've set your mail/news program, whatever software
     it may be, to NOT open attachments automagically

  4. also, if you have the option to require confirmation before
     saving or launching attachments, do so

  5. if you aren't behind a firewall already, and are working
     from home, get the free personal firewall Zone Alarm
     www.zonelabs.com
     (It which won't protect from viruses, but it WILL prevent
     unauthorized connections from implanting or using trojans
     to access your system, if you have been compromised.)

  6. If you're using Windows, be sure your network bindings are
     set appropriately. There's no reason to bind everything to
     everything. Steve Gibson has good directions on doing this,
     and why.
     http://grc.com/su-bondage.htm

  7. Get AdSubtract to use for web browsing. Not only does it
     make browsing faster (except when you want to turn on certain
     capabilities when you know you can trust the site), it'll
     protect you from hostile scripts.
     http://www.adsubtract.com/

  Frankly I've found that simply not using Micro$oft products
  for mail/news makes a much more secure system. I use Opera
  as a browser, as well. It's faster and has a smaller footprint
  than IE or Netscape, and won't expose you to ActiveX. There are
  certain sites it won't work with, so I have a stripped down
  Netscape as a backup. No way I'll ever use Internet Exploder
  at home.
  http://www.operasoftware.com/

  There may be other advice that'll help, but these have worked
  for me. Yeah, it includes more security than just antivirus,
  but that's important, too.

--
SubGenius Police, Usenet Tactical Unit (Mobile), AKA S.P.U.T.U.M.
Unit CLXXX -- What you'll be doing, Pinkboy.
http://www.sputum.com/                      Unit_CLXXX at sputum.com