human genome question

maxwell mmmaxwell at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 13 18:15:00 EST 2001

Richard Norman <rsnorman at mediaone.net> wrote in message
news:zgQV6.32302$s12.800204 at typhoon.mw.mediaone.net...
> "maxwell" <mmmaxwell at hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:9g85o8$7dkdc$1 at ID-81739.news.dfncis.de...
> >
> > Sascha Vynograd <vyn at domestic.de> wrote in message
> > news:9g7uae$e6g$1 at riker.addcom.de...
> > > What does it mean , that human genome is completly decoded?
> >
> > That the material it is made of has been mapped out, from one end to
> > the other.
> >
> > > Is my genome equivalent with others ?
> >
> > Not exactly, because there are huge numbers of places where
differences
> > between individuals can be found.
> >
> > > What makes people different?
> > > differences gene expression or differences in genome?
> >
> > Both of the above, plus parts of the differences in gene expression
> > are due to experiences of the organism, both of the living person,
> > and also of factors within the cell that carry messages to and from
the
> > genome,
> > and of factors within the cytoplasm of the zygote.
> >
> > (non-exhaustive..offered as examples; over-simplified, and with
> > implicit regard of interactive causalities)
> >

> Just a few more details -- the human genome is not really completely
> decoded.  But probably all the parts that really count have been.
> There are technical reasons why two particular regions of each
> chromosome can't be decoded but these regions almost certainly
> don't code for any genes.  And what we have now is still called a
> "draft".

Good points. I tried to keep the reply within
constraints-of-comprehension
as suggested by the inquirer's prose.

> In general, two people differ in about 0.1% of their DNA.  That is one
> out of 1000 base pairs may differ. So perhaps 3 million out of the 3
> billion bases differ between individuals.  The work is just barely
getting
> started on cataloging these differences.  Trying to understand just
what
> the differences actually mean is still far away (except in a few
exceptional
> cases).

WRT exceptional cases, there are well-known ones such as Huntington's
and sickle cell, but WRT actual behaviour, we are even further off
from comprehension than base-pair difference understanding demands.