Capacity of the brain

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at svt.ntnu.no
Tue Aug 31 17:45:23 EST 1999

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999 13:07:42 +0200, "Claes Frisk"
<Claes.Frisk at psyk.ks.se> wrote:

>Are there any reasonable estimations of the capacity(speed, memory,...) of
>the brain in computer terms?
>I realize that the two can't be directly compared, but I guess that it's
>been done a number of times anyway.

I don't remember the exact reference but i think Lisman has published
a theory on this. He suggest that the items stored in the working
memory is represented by the gamma oscillations within one theta
phase. Thus, the number og gamma periods within one theta period limit
the capacity of the working memory. I don't know what to make of this
though.

Sturla Molden