Capacity of the brain

bj flanagan Wordsmyth at Rocketmail.com
Mon Aug 30 18:03:50 EST 1999

Arthur T. Murray wrote:
> Claes Frisk wrote:
>
> > Are there any reasonable estimations of the capacity
> > (speed, memory,...) of the brain in computer terms?

> > I realize that the two can't be directly compared,
>
> Sez who?  They are already on a collision course, according to
> http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~phoenix/vinge/vinge-sing.html Vinge.

bj: Thanks for the interesting links; I would urge any newbies out there
to take the statements made at these sites with a large grain of salt.
E.g., Vinge's opening remarks echo others made decades ago by certain
prominent figures, the which have proven ... overly optimistic. Vinge
writes: "Within thirty years, we will have the technological means to
create superhuman intelligence. Shortly after, the human era will be
ended." This kind of remark might be more at home in a sci-fi story.

The following, on the other hand, sounds quite clever, but I am lost in
your idiom:

> The recent Tokyo traffic jams resulting from the first "roll-over"
> of timekeeping in GPS history serve notice on the computer industry
> to please provide for us public-domain mindmakers an architecture
> independent of actual starting-points in history (are babies stamped?)
> so that the legions of mind-coders may vie for the distinction, nay
> the *necessity* of running an AI from a watch-out-it's-coming point
> in time and never again till the end of time snuffing out the alife.

Then again, the following blurb from Mind.Forth is almost ridiculous:
"Mind.Forth AI is a profoundly sophisticated model of the mind." From
what follows, one gets the distinct impression that the author is not
speaking metaphorically. If this is indeed the case, I would argue that
she is profoundly mistaken.

Quanta & Consciousness

	http://www.freeyellow.com/members/sentek/index.html

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/