Humans use 10% of brain... true?

Martin Knopman mknopman at worldnet.att.net
Wed Aug 25 19:19:56 EST 1999

henrik at unge-forskere.no wrote in message <7pun9k$9bs$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>...
>Is the common (pseudo-scientific) myth that humans only use 10% of
>their brain true?

I don't even know what this question means!  You have some notion of 100%
utilization of the brain?  Can anyone cite a study, or conjecture, that the
computational capacity of the normal human brain (outside of newly created
and acquired linguistic devices?) is x.  And has anyone ever even come up
with an estimate for the average (?) computational work done by some average
brain, in some average situation, after an average amount of sleep, thinking
some average thought, within an average emotional environment, ... I think
that it's even hard to determine %100 utilization of many simple mechanical
machines - different contexts yield different answers, not to mention the
unknown productive contexts.

>How is this coherent with evolution theory (the extinction of useless
>bodyparts)?

I don't like your use of the word "useless" here.  The word denotes a
context much, much larger than anyone could ever ascribe to evolution.

Peace,

Martin Knopman