Gallileo's Comments

Ken Collins KPaulC at email.msn.com
Tue Aug 24 23:40:10 EST 1999

i'm reading an excellent little book, _Six Great Scientists_, byJ. G.
Crowther, 1995.

one of the Scientists treated is Gallileo. here's an excerpt:

"The Aristotelian learned world was in consternation. They tried to evade
the horrid novelties by refusing to see them. Gallileo wrote to Kepler:
'What do you say of the leading philosophers here to whom I have offered a
thousand times, of my own accord, to show my studies, but who, with the lazy
obstinacy of a serpent who has eaten his fill, have never consented to look
at the planets, or moon, or telescope? Verily, just as serpents close their
ears, so do men close their eyes to the light of [T]ruth."

i know the 'feeling' :-)

ken collins