Puberty & Seizures

Lori N lnhodge at nospam.texas.net
Fri Aug 20 00:59:33 EST 1999

To all the great minds out there:

I read your newsgroup frequently and find it very interesting.
Do any of you know of any studies or research being done (or
completed) concerning the correlation between puberty and the
onset of seizures or the worsening of seizures in children who
already suffer from the disorder?  I keep seeing a pattern of
onset during puberty and/or previously controlled seizures
becoming uncontrollable during puberty.

My daughter apparently has had a undiagnosed, very mild focal
partial seizure in her left arm since early childhood, which
only recently became severe contemporaneously with the onset
of puberty.  If the neuro's are right, the activity stems from
an abnormality (focal cortical dysplasia) which occurred
during fetal development, whereby certain neurons migrated
incorrectly into the right temporal lobe and are now
misfiring.  Obviously (or at least to this mildly-educated
mind) the problem has been there since birth, but I have a
strong feeling that there must be some major changes in brain
activity during puberty which exacerbate the condition.  Any
ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Lori
(remove "nospam" from e-mail address to reply)