cerebral blood flow question

C.S. Mills chmills at flash.net
Mon Aug 16 08:02:21 EST 1999

Cherie Mills worte:

F. Frank LeFever wrote:

> In <7okfk9$ulj$1 at nnrp1.deja.com> sfchris at my-deja.com writes:
> >
> >Experts, a simple question:
> >
> >Does brain damage *cause* poor blood flow to the brain or is it only
> the
> >other way around?
> >
> >The kind of brain damage I am interested in is that caused by alcohol
> >abuse, (not by a blunt trauma to the head).
>
> Too bad.  I do know of some research on impaired autoregulation of
> cerebral blood flow after blunt trauma (and perhaps reduced frontal or
> basal ganglia flow even after mild injury with no evidenece of
> structural damage--rather controversial), but do not know of any in the
> case of alcohol abuse.
>
> Or do I?  There have been various studies using rCBF measures or (more
> recently) SPECT which tend to show some regional reductions (especially
> hypofrontality?) in various conditions--including depression (and
> perhaps alcoholism? depression is a commmon comorbidity).  However, is
> this reduced flow because of impaired circulation, possibly causing
> some brain impairment (with or without structural damage)?  Or is it
> reduced flow because of structural brain damage (i.e. actual cell
> loss)?  Or is this a functional reduction due to dis-use? (presumably
> reversible)
>
> F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
> New York Neuropsychology Group

I have read that some studies have shown arginine vasopressin to be low
in depression, and high in  mania. Vasopressin is a vasodilator, which,
I suppose means that more oxygen would get to the brain when there are
higher levels of arginine vasopressin in the blood. Could alcoholism
ultimately impair production of arginine vasopressin and consequently
impair circulation by reduction of an essential vasodilator?

Cherie Mills
chmills at flash.net