question: about recent experiment on chimps ---

Richard Vickery Richard.Vickery at unsw.edu.au
Wed Aug 11 01:24:17 EST 1999

Deepak Goel wrote:
> i remmeber reading a news about 6 weeks ago --- about scientists managing
> to perform such a feat that chimps need only think about something
> happening and that thing would happen, The new items also talked about
> this technology being used for handicapped people..
> Could anybody tell me about any pointers to the above news, or enlighten
> me with some appropriate keywords..  (eg. the name of that process) so i
> may be able to find more on that?

These are probably the sort of thing that you are after.
EEG (brain waves recorded by electrodes on the scalp) patterns
are used to control the cursor.
There used to be a controller for Atari video games based on
recording EMG (muscle electrical activity) activity related to
eye movement.  I guess it was unreliable or we would all have
them!

http://www.cnl.salk.edu/~scott/nips.html

http://www.dinf.org/csun_99/session0244.html

Richard Vickery