First letter of Oz to the NG

Malcolm McMahon malcolm at pigsty.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 6 04:26:45 EST 1999

On Sat, 31 Jul 1999 02:08:17 GMT, Bloxy's at hotmail.com (Bloxy's) wrote:

>This is not "instability". This is freedom.
>Undescriptability, may be, but instability?
>Well, the "instability" is a driving force.
>This is where intelligence kicks in,
>as it forever seeks to go out of the limits of known.

When you think about the evolutionary history of inteligence the
homostasis point of view seems more consistent. Our inteligence seems to
have evolved at the end of the last ice-age when the climate was
extremely variable. Evolution doesn't hand out inteligence with much
enthusiam. Inteligence requires learning and learning is a dangerous
business. It takes time. In our case brainsize has become a nightmare
problem as far as procreation is concerned.

It makes sense that inteligence evolved essentially as a coping
strategy. It gives us the capacity to change our behaviour to fit
conditions that change much faster than the evolution of instinct could
possibly keep up with.

>Freedom, by DEFINITION, is outside of ALL dictates.
>Dictates are for the crowds to organize in groups
>and follow the party line of fasion
>to be ultimately exploited by the fat cat.

Freedom the (relative) absence of externally imposed restraints. This is
not really the issue here, I think. The issue is about motivation. What
makes you decide what you _want_ to do.