Unexplained memory disorder (P.S.)

Loonyl liam at freeserve.co.uk
Tue Aug 3 12:10:58 EST 1999

On 3 Aug 1999 04:44:24 GMT, flefever at ix.netcom.com(F. Frank LeFever)
wrote:

>Is it a memory problem or an "oppositional" problem?
>
>I tell you "clinical neuropsychologist" and you tell me "memory
>researcher" or "neurologist" or "neuropsychiatrist".

I didn't know the difference between them, but then again neither did
my doctor.

>It's as if you said your car had an "transmission" problem, and when I
>asked whether you had seen an auto mechanic you saied, "yes, I've seen
>carpenters, masons, electricians, everybody!  My car's problem is a
>mystery nobody can solve!"
>
>Neurologists are good if you have a problem with something below the
>brainstem, or perhaps something above if it is an obvious and
>well-known syndrome.  Neuropsychiatrists are good if you have some
>well-recognized organic condition that involves "psychiatric" symptoms.
>
>Both will make a diagnosis based on a brief interview and review of
>your history (itself a product of a few brief interviews?) and perhaps
>some routine lab tests (CT, spinal tap? you name it).
>
>Academminc "memory researchers" ay actually administter soome tests,
>but are not likely to have the clinical experience oor knowledge to
>interpret them in terms of clinical diagnoses.
>
>A clinical neuropsychologist will (1) test memory exhaustively, using
>objective tests with well-developed norms (i.e. so they can say how far
>your performance differs from the average IF at all)--in coontrast to a
>neurologist or neuropsychiatrist asking you to "remember these three
>objects" and asking you what they were 5 minutes later, and assuming
>they know how many you should remember...(Visual memory?  tyPes of
>visual memory?  recognition vs. recall? learning vs. remembering?
>short vs. long delay?  free vs. cued recall?  coding vs. storage vs.
>retrieval?  HU-U-U-U-UHHHHH?)
>
>They might recall hearing SOME of these terms, but these would be
>residues of their early training, not anything they address in their
>clinical practice.  Their time is too valuable for them to even considr
>administering lengthy objective tests.
>
>The academic memory researchers will knoow much more than I doo about
>the history of all of these terms, and the latest findings regarding
>these aspects of memory--but they will not know them in a clinical
>context, will probably not test any of these things using clinically
>normed tests, and if they do will not have the clinical experience to
>relate them to specific syndromes, and will NOT have the resourcs or
>expeience to testt things OTHER THAN MEMORY which may be relevant to
>tthe "presenting" problem.
>
>When I asked if you had seen a neuropsychologist, I MEANT "a
>neuropsycholologist".

Ok thanks for that, I'm off to see my psychiatrist tommorow, so I'll
ask her if I've seen a clinical neuropsychologist.

>I stiill don't see a simple answer to my simple queation:  WHICH
>University?  (and was it a neuropsych CLINIC or just an academic memory
>lab?)
Sorry, it was manchester university, manchester, UK and it was an
academic memory lab.

>Your inability to organize your replies or your search effectively
>might suggest to some neuropsychologists an explanation for your
>problems which may have nothing to do with memory at all, although it
>may seem so subjectively.

thanks for that too.
I'll mention that to the psychiatrist tommorow as well.
Cheers
Liam