Blindsight and Rage

Mervyn van Kuyen mervyn at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 2 04:55:05 EST 1999

F. Frank LeFever wrote:
>FURTHER COMMENT: Perhaps you do not quite grasp what I am saying about
>the right hemisphere's role in attention.  I don't know if Ramachandran
>really puts it in such mentalistic/cognitive terms; but even if he
>does, please note the distinction in any case between ability to SEE
>things in the right visual field and NOTICING things there.  A subtle
>but important distinction.  For a less mentalistic/cognitive way of
>loooking at it, consider Ken Heilman's several papers on the right
>hemisphere's role in activation/attention for the entire brain.

You are right, he writes: "the right hemispere has a broad
searchlight of *attention* that encompasses both the entire
left and entire right visual fields. The left hemisphere, on the
other hand, has a much smaller searchlight, which is
confined entirely to the right side of the world."
[Phantom of the brain, by VS Ramachandran. pag 117]

>AND YET FURTHER COMMENT: May I take that to mean "one word, to the
>wise, is sufficient"?  You'll be more circumspect in your assertions in
>tthe future?

Yes, I meant it like that. All comment that corrects my view is ok of
course,
but I don't like to be patronised any more than you. Even Ramachandran
mixes up left and right in figure 4.4 (Page71) of Phantoms in the
brain.

Mervyn