Question about Vomeronasal Organ (VNO)?

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Sun Aug 1 22:42:26 EST 1999

About time for me to pop off on the basis of dim memories of stuff
possibly not well understood (by me) when I read it, and possibly
revised by later work, anyway.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I came to the conclusion, after a book by
C. Judson Herrick sent me (c. 30-40 yrs ago?) to the comparative
anatomy literature then available, that while one might consider the
rhinal cortex (indeed, the whole cerebral cortex, ultimately, but
rrhinal cortex immediately?) an outgrowth of the olfactory nerve
(hypertrophy of its central ganglion), the amygdala (or some parts of
it) could in the same sense be considered an outgrowth of the
vomeronasal organ.

Conceivably, it might persist in phylogeny even after its ancestral
point of origin atrophied.

In the absence of a vomeronasal organ, are there alternative routes for
incoming pheromone signals?  One thinks of analogous non-geniculate and
even non-retinal routes for photoperiod synchronization and other
"non-visual" aspects of light influences on neuroendocrine activity and
behavior. Indeed, we don't even have to invoke the idea of light
filtering through your thinning hair to the pineal gland: one recent
study suggests that light to the back of the leg (behind the knee) can
be effective for something or other (was it SAD treatment? re-setting
circadian rhythm?  I forget.)

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Group