Halothane delivery in rats.

Corey Cleland Corey-Cleland at UIOWA.EDU
Wed Jan 31 09:20:07 EST 1996

In article <4eladf$acd at news.wilmington.net> dazieg at wilmington.net writes:
>From: dazieg at wilmington.net
>Subject: Halothane delivery in rats.
>Date: 30 Jan 1996 14:36:31 GMT

>Has anyone any experience with Halothane delivery in laboratory rats?
>Our goal is to chronically deliver the anesthetic while a stereotaxic
>procedure is performed.  We do not wish to perform a tracheotomy to
>intubate, we want a fast recovery from the procedure.

>Thanks,

>Dave Ziegler

We use halothane on rats routinely. Works nice.
You can use a makeshift mask. It will need to be fashioned around the mouth
bar; a nuiscance, but solvable. Scavanging the halothane will be a bit
complicated, though. Do you have a hood nearby you run a tubing/fan to?
corey cleland