Query: Dendritic Networks

Alfie colinh at owlnet.rice.edu
Tue Jan 30 11:38:29 EST 1996

Greetings.  I am a graduate student in Linguistics, with a strong interest
in Cognitive Modelling, and an even stronger interest in keeping such
models consistent with what is known about neurophysiology.  I recently
read the following assertions in Jibu and Yasue (1995) "Quantum brain
dynamics and consciousness", and I would welcome any enlightening
comments...

1. "...it is known that in the central nervous system, especially in the
cerebral cortex, the majority of neurons have no axons and cannot transmit
neural impulses." [p.104]

Is this referring to stellate cells?  Pyramidal cells have axons (do they
not?), but are they really in a minority in the cortex?

2. "Even in mainstream cerebral physiology, the higher order process [of
consciousness and memory] is thought to be realized by the cooperative
activity of dendritic networks..."

I have never read anything about dendritic networks before.  Jibu and
Yasue reference Karl Pribham's 1991 publication, "Brain and Perception",
which I will endeavour to hunt out and read.  Where else might I look to
get information specifically on the functional architecture of dendritic
networks (expressed in a way I might comprehend...)?

Please respond directly to me <colinh at owlnet.rice.edu>.

Thanks!

Colin Harrison
Linguistics Department