visual stimulator

Loren A. Evey lae2 at psu.edu
Sun Jan 28 14:25:25 EST 1996

In Article<30FA392B.3FBC at neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>,
> Hi,
>
> we are looking for a graphic card to generate visual stimuli in
> electrophysiological experiment.
> This card should have a extensive library for complex graphics and
> should be easyly programmable (we have a 120 Hz monitor).
> We have to use bars,gratings,rectangles(different angles) which are
> moving or flickering or stationary. Also we have to use complex random
> patterns or foreground/background stimuli.
>
> Any suggestions or adresses?
Hopefully, your not planning to program the graphics card directly.
There should be application developement tools available for your OS.
You may have to obtain a DDK for a particular graphics card.  Perhaps you
would benefit from posting your request in
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.vxd.  The Microsoft development tools (VC+,
C7.0, etc) have libraries that will allow you to program your stimuli.
Your choice of OS may affect the accuracy of your flickering stimulus.
However, I doubt this is an issue.  Especially if your working with EVP
or the McCullough (sp) Effect.  Without knowing your programming
resources, I can't make specific recommendations.  If you operate in
Windows and if color saturation is important, I would consider the Number
Nine Imagine 128 with 8M of VRAM.  If you plan to use DOS, I don't have a
recommendation.  "complex random patterns" -- that's a pretty big byte.
Good luck.