Vagus Nerve Schwannoma: effects on internal organs?

Neal Prakash eamg061 at rigel.oac.uci.edu
Mon Jan 22 14:27:04 EST 1996

Jerry,

i just gave a talk the vagus nerve and the immune system--the vagus nerve
probably plays a very important role in many important chemoregulatory
functions, including detection of cytokine levels, important for the
psychoneuroimmune axis.

i highly recommend the book "Neuroanatomy and Physiology of Abdominal
Vagal Afferents" Ritter, Ritter & Barnes, eds. CRC press, london, 1992.
especially interesting are the sections on the paraventricular system.

also check out any of the several related papers by Linda R. Watkins
group for the effects of subdiaphragmatic vagotomy.

best of luck.
-Neal

On 22 Jan 1996 YOUR-USERNAME at usc.edu wrote:

> A friend of mine had a vagus nerve schwannoma removed about 6 months ago;
> the nerve was completley transected and she has a paralyzed vocal cord.
>
> She wonders about long term effects on her internal organs and endocrine
> functions.  She has various symptoms including decreased appetite,
> increased appetite, pain on salivating, swallowing problems of course, and
> also mood swings.  Does anyone know anything about this, or know of people
> or references I can point to her to?
>
> If you could reply be email I'd appreciate it, and if I get enough info
> I'll post it in this group and on the Web.
>
> Jerry
>
> jlarson at hsc.usc.edu
> http://www.hsc.edu/hsc/neuroprotection/

-neal prakash

http://meded.com.uci.edu:80/~nprakash/neal.html

"Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never
cease to be amused." -author unknown