Need Help: on "Acoustic Neuroma" Tumor....................

Ajay Popat apopat at oracle.com
Mon Jan 15 14:42:20 EST 1996

Just two days back, my wife has has been diagonised with "Acoustic Neuroma" Tumor of 4cm x 3cm size, just behind her righ ear, under the skull (and not
in the brain). Our Doctor has advised us to get it removed surgically ASAP.
We are planning to do it, but meanwhile we wanted to educate ourselves for
what to expect.

I appreciate, if you send me your feedback or lead pointers on this subject at:

apopat at us.oracle.com

Some questions we have are:

1) How serious is the surgery??
   Tumor has already damaged Nerve#5 and 8 (Right side hearing loss, and facial     sensation), and it is close to damaging Nerve#7 for Facial Deformation.
2) Considering the seriousness, how soon we should do the surgery??
   There is a long queue.  Do we need to press hard, to get it done today?
3) What are the chances of any complications??
   What kind of Complications are possible??
4) We have a TWO month old baby.  Will she be able to take it the absence of her    Mom??
5) How did the Tumor start??
   Does it have any dependency on Genes??  on Heredity??
6) Any other alternatives we have, other that surgical removal??
7) What are the percentage rate of success and failures??
8) Can it re-occur after few years??
9) Will my 2 month old daughter be in danger of similar problem in future??
10)We will be getting our first appointment of Neuro-Surgeon this week.
   Other than these questions, what kind of other questions we need to ask, and
   be aware of??

If you know anything on this subject, please reply to me ASAP at apopat at us.oracle.com

Thanking you in advance.............