Maybe acupuncturists right (fwd)

Ron Blue rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU
Thu Jan 4 21:35:13 EST 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 1995 02:43:06 GMT
From: Loren Randolph <Loren.Randolph at m.cc.utah.edu>
To: audiolog at net.bio.net
Subject: Maybe acupuncturists right

I noted something interesting today, while sitting at my desk between
patients. I was touching my left palm with an opened pair of scissors,
and I noticed that, every time I touched the palm or fingers in two
places simultaneously with the scissors points, there seemed to be an
acoustic reflex- I could sense my eardrum move. This only happened
when I actually touched the hand, since I tried ruling out the
movement of the right hand as the cause. So I stuck a  tymp probe in
the right ear, and elicited a repeatible and very definite  (witnessed
by another audiologist) negative deflection on the bridge, Only
happened in the right ear, not a binaural thing. There have been
reports that negative deflections come from tensor vs stapedius
contractions. Wierd, huh?
Loren