Anatomy of Hallucinations(part 1)

Keneth Grandchamp grandcha at cmu.unige.ch
Thu Jan 4 09:35:21 EST 1996

Aquébie

Anatomy of Hallucinations   by:Claude Rifat
--------------------------------------
Introduction:Since the beginnings of mankind hallucinations have had an
important role in human behaviours.The destiny of man has been guided by three
forms of hallucinations:
I.Oneiric hallucinations
2.Cortical hallucinations
3.Cortico-limbic hallucinations
Oneiric hallucinations are those hallucinations in which all of
us,regularly,penetrate each night.These are the dream hallucinations.
Cortical hallucinations are those induced,experimentally,with hallucinogens or
experienced by mystics and schizophrenics.For instance,the vision or the
hearing of a non-existent stimulus is called a cortical hallucination.
Cortico-limbic hallucinations are emotions which are experienced without
concomittant exogenous stimulation.
All these forms of hallucinations have played a major role in the evolution
and survival of man.
Oneiric and cortical hallucinations have played an important role in the
evolution of man until recently where these forms of hallucinations have been
recognised for what they are:virtual perceptions.
Cortico-limbic hallucinations are the stuff of everyday's life!They go
on,unrecognised,and unidentified.This is why I,sometimes,call these
potentially dangerous hallucinations "non-identified hallucinations"(N.I.H).We
spend a lot of time in cortico-limbic hallucinations without ever knowing that
we are hallucinating...
A man or a woman devoid of these unidentified hallucinations would be quite
similar to what we imagine a robot should be!
All of these hallucinations gave rise to the different religions of men
including,of course,the main present-day religions.Man has never been able to
confront the exogenous reality(also called "exoreality")without
hallucinating.Even scientists who try to get rid of their hallucinations
are,very often,still plagued by NIH...

Oneiric and Cortical Hallucinations
These hallucinations do not proceed randomly with time as non-experienced
observers usually imagine.They obey to some fundamental laws regarding the
organisation of biological memories.One of the major law of how one
hallucination develops itself through time is the law of "homologies
motifielles",in french.This could be translated as the law of "homologous
patterns",in english.
This law states that an hallucinatory object transforms itself non-randomly
with time.Hallucinations follow a law of pattern transformations.This law is
useful in analysing alleged hallucinations like in the case of flying
saucers,for instance,or any other reported unusual phenomenon.
What is interesting in analysing flying saucers cases if that one cannot
find,in the vast majority of cases,any track of hallucinations!So these
reports can be only faked or true but certainly not hallucinated.
We can observe on ourselves hallucinations in two ways:
I.Focusing our visual attention,in total darkness,on something.It is very easy
to observe faint hallucinations and follow them if one has not slept for many
hours.
2.Taking hallucinogens.
Those hallucinations induced by hallucinogens or by focusing our attention on
some kind of thoughts always follow a sequence of events:
I.First we start to see changing colours.Violet-blue and red are prominent.
2.Suddenly,ROTATING REITERATED objects appear.They rotate mostly in one
direction and slowly,perhaps one rotation per 5 seconds.
While rotating these informational objects can change themselves in other
rotating and reiterated objects.Reiteration seems to be the prerequesite in
order for the nervous system to synthesise more complex hallucinations
reminiscent of the "real" exogenous reality.
Reiteration is also something commonly found in arts.I think especially here
to Siamese patterns of traditional painting and to drawings like of those of
Escher which have a strongly hallucinogenic flavour.Some of Escher's drawings
 are certainly hallucinations observed in this state.
3.Reiterations,suddenly,disappear to be replaced by complex images.
In fact,this sequence of hallucinations is a bit more complex but can be
disregarded here,for clarity and simplicity.
Rotating reiterated objects can also easily be seen in daylight under the
indolalkylamine psilocine.
It is a very enjoyable thing to scientifically observe and describe
hallucinations because with such observations you are penetrating deep in the
functionning of biological memories.And of couse biological memories do not
work at all like man-made memories.For instance our memory is an "intersecting
memory",something which does not yet exist in man-made memories.In
fact,intersections are what make the rise of intelligence possible.Without
such intersections no flexibility can develop and without flexibil
ity you cannot have thoughts.
The study of hallucinations give us new ways of imagining novel computers
which could give rise to artificial intelligence.To that effect we should one
day create intersectional computers working as pattern analysers because
biological memories are,basically,pattern analysers not sequential numerical
analysers.
What is an "intersection"?
An intersection is a small reiterated memory zone which connects different
sequences of stored information.For instance,a simple sound like the sound of
the letter "A" is an intersection.In an artificial memory sounds are stored
sequentially and the same sounds are stored many times.In an intersecting
memory one sound is stored only once(in a reiterated form)and is then recalled
each time needed.This is a form of natural compression.
I have been thinking since a long time about the reason why reiterations
precede the appearance of complex hallucinations.One intuitive reason seems to
be that reiterated objects are the first informationnal procedure in order to
be able for the brain to synthesise complex hallucinations.