"Novelty" gene

Stevejoe stevejoe at qconline.com
Wed Jan 3 02:23:57 EST 1996

>There's an article in the paper today about the discovery of a gene
>for the personality trait of "novelty-seeking" (the first gene for any
>personality trait)......- two of his original articles announcing his
>theory were part of the reading list in one of my posts last week on
>integrated approaches to studying the brain.
>
>The newspaper report only identified the gene as being for one of
>the dopamine receptors.
>Onward and upwards!
>
>AJR

Although I find genetics research to be quite interesting - Why is it that
scientists are constantly surprised to find that genes are involved in so
many different aspects of our biophysiology?

Here it is folks - here is the bottom line - Genetics is a factor in
everything!  That's right - everything!  Whether you are destined to be a
basketball player or whether you are prone to arthritis or the preference
for aftershave lotions you prefer....  Somewhere in your genetic makeup you
will be able to find the reason why...

Now I have to say this...  So What!  As far as I can see - genetics research
has not yielded too much in the way of positive results.  It doesn't help
much to tell a sick person with cancer or heart disease that their problem
is genetic.  Genetics will only help if we start building people from the
bottom up - don't look for it soon.

Stevejoe