Barbiturates causing strokes????(Melrose Place)

Yan Lee y-tony at bu.edu
Tue Jan 2 14:20:42 EST 1996

I was watching Melrose Place last night and apparently one of the
characters had a stroke on account of drinking alcohol laced with
phenylbarbitol.  Afterwards, I kept think, how the hell phenylbarbitol
and alcohol cause a stroke?  She might have died, ya, but get a stroke?
Did I miss something here or is there an actual, logical explanation on
how barbiturates cause a stroke?  Then again it _is_ Melrose Place and I
shouldn't take anything seriously from it :)

Oh the acting, the realism, the drama.