Electronics of Neuroscience

Joseph J. Pancrazio jjp2h at galen.med.Virginia.EDU
Fri Sep 30 16:40:03 EST 1994

Brandon Lewis <lewis at inslab.uky.edu> wrote:

>        I am an electrical engineering sophomor at the Uiversity of
>Kentucky.  Through my psychology classes, I have learned a small amount
>about neuron cells and the way they work.  I have become interested in the
>electrical nature of neurons and this has raised some questions for me.
>Is there any need for electrical engineers in conducting research on
>neurons?

A background in electrical engineering is a great way to begin a
career in biophysics/biomedical engineering, where electrophysiology
is a field of study.  With a few exceptions, such a career path
would require a Ph.D., so independent study in the "electrical nature"
of neurons will take a while.  You should be aware that it is, IMHO,
harder to have a substantial income as a biophysicist (Ph.D.),
compared with an electrical engineer (even with just a B.S.).  If this
is not a pressing concern, there are plenty of graduate programs,
especially in BME, which would welcome an EE.

P.S.  Sorry about the Auburn game last night; they're pretty tough.