chaos in models of neuronal excitabillity

Daniel Racicot ak426 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA
Wed Sep 28 13:47:14 EST 1994

I have recently been looking over some material on neuronal excitabillity.
For the most part I have concentrated on the Hodgkin Huxley model and the
Fitzhugh Nagumo model as well as Plant's slow wave burster model.  It would
seem to me that these equations are capable of "chaotic" motion.
I would be interested in hearing about any articles where such claims
have been made.
I seem to recall seeing a few articles where the claim is that they
have calculated something which would indicate chaos in the experimental
data (eg they have calculated a positive largest lyapunov exponent)
but so far (and it has been a short search) I have not seen
any useful claims at observing chaos in the HH equations for example.

Has anyone actually done some bifurcation analysis or some kind of
parameter search on these equations to see if there is anything
interesting there?

Any discussion on this would be interesting.

Daniel Racicot
dept. of Physics
U of Ottawa
dmr at physics.uottawa.ca  or ak426 at freenet.carleton.ca