Q: voluntary muscle inhibition during REM sleep

Dag Stenberg stenberg at cc.Helsinki.FI
Sun Sep 18 16:13:41 EST 1994

KEFLEX (keflex at aol.com) wrote:
> Can anybody tell me the name of the chemical(s) secreted during REM sleep
> that inhibit voluntary muscle action, and the origin of this chemical(s)?
> It would be a great help!

As far as current theory seems to go:

The laterodorsal tegmental nucleus secretes acetylcholine into the
pontine reticular formation, where it acts on muscarinic-2 receptors to
induce the pontine cells to secrete glutamine onto medullar
magnocellular cells. These react by secreting glycine onto
alpha-motoneurons in the spinal cord, which are then hyperpolarized,
whereby their excitability is reduced, and they cannot send impulses to
the muscles.

Dag Stenberg     MD PhD                    stenberg at cc.helsinki.fi
Institute of Biomedicine		   tel: int.+358-0-1918532
Department of Physiology                   fax: int.+358-0-1918681
P.O.Box 9       (Siltavuorenpenger 20 J)   tlx: 1002125 finuh sf
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki,Finland
        X.400:   /C=FI/A=FUMAIL/P=INET/O=HELSINKI/OU=CC/S=STENBERG/