Hippocampus and auditory input

Tom R. Gregg fb557 at cleveland.Freenet.Edu
Tue Sep 13 21:11:32 EST 1994

I am a master's student.
My current understanding of hippocampal connectivity to the rest
of the brain (in rat) is this:  entorhinal cortex collects input
from many sensory cortical areas (a "cold" sensory input), and
relays it to hippo.  Subcortical inputs, e.g., LC, reticular
formation, septum/dBB, hypothalamus, modulate the hippo.'s
processing in "motivational" and "arousal" ways.

I am trying to understand how hippo. output affects the rest of
the brain, and behavior.  I know that a rat with a missing
hippo. does not perform well on some learning tasks, and I have
some familiarity with cognitive mapping work.

What is the function of the hippocampus?  I'd appreciate comments
and references.

Tom G.