human models of plasticity

tstiefel at sdcc13.ucsd.edu tstiefel at sdcc13.ucsd.edu
Tue Sep 13 03:11:59 EST 1994

> Ramachandran gave an interesting talk here a few months back on a
> somewhat related topic - his studies of phantom limbs in human amputees and
> their relation to expansion of topographic maps in somatosensory cortex.
>
> --
> Elliot D. Menschik                               Neuroscience Graduate Group
> menschik at eniac.seas.upenn.edu                             School of Medicine
>                                                   University of Pennsylvania
>                                                       Philadelphia, PA 19104

I took a course by Dr. Ramachandran at UCSD in which he discussed
amputation and the growth of neuronal activity by adjacent areas.  It was
quite interesting and I believe he was attempting to find out hte
physiology behind the neuronal growth by the "deadened" area of the brain.
Is there anything new on this?