INT.SCHOOLS on BIOPHYSICS and BIOCYBERNETICS

Carlo Musio camus at imagm.na.cnr.it
Wed Sep 7 08:01:14 EST 1994

PLEASE CIRCULATE

STUDY PROGRAM ON ANIMAL PHOTOBIOLOGY AND VISUAL PERCEPTION

articulated in two International Schools,
to be held in the ISLE of ISCHIA (Napoli), Italy:

"BIOPHYSICS OF PHOTORECEPTION: MOLECULAR AND PHOTOTRANSDUCTIVE
EVENTS"(October 10-16,1994)
and
"BIOCYBERNETICS OF VISION: INTEGRATIVE MECHANISMS AND COGNITIVE
PROCESSES"(October 16-22,1994)

Opening day of the STUDY PROGRAM:
October 10, 1994
Istituto Italiano per gli Studi Filosofici
Via Monte di Dio 14, Palazzo Serra di Cassano, NAPOLI, Italy
09.00 - 11.00:
Wellcome Addresses
A. Borsellino Memorial
W. Reichardt Memorial
E.R. Caianiello Memorial

                                                INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL ON
                                            "BIOPHYSICS OF PHOTORECEPTION:
                               MOLECULAR AND PHOTOTRANSDUCTIVE EVENTS"

                                                 Tentative Program of Lessons

MONDAY, OCTOBER 10, 1994
SESSION 1 - PHOTORECEPTION AND PHOTOTRANSDUCTION OF MICROORGANISMS -
Lenci, I (Molecular basis of photoreception);

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 11, 1994
Ghetti, I (Action spectroscopy);
Song, USA (Light signal transduction in Ciliates: I. Photoreception);
Song, USA (Light signal transduction in Ciliates: II. Transduction mechanisms);
Colombetti, I (Photomotile responses in Ciliates);
Petracchi, I (Interpretation of dose-response curves in photoreception);
                                    Panel Discussion of Session 1
SESSION 2 - PHOTORECEPTION AND PHOTOTRANSDUCTION OF INVERTEBRATES
Stieve, D (Survey of phototransduction in invertebrate visual cells);

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 12, 1994
Selinger, IL (Inositol lipid signalling in Drosophila visual transduction);
Minke, IL (Identification and characterization of the trp gene product);
Selinger, IL (Turning off the signal: a regulatory arrestin cycle secures
the fidelity and maintenance of the fly photoreceptor cell);
Minke, IL (An eye specific PKC is required for light adaptation in
Drosophila photoreceptor cells);
Payne, USA (Measurement of intracellular calcium in photoreceptor cells);
Stieve, D (The role of Ca++ in the phototransduction of invertebrates);
Stieve, D (Phototransduction in Limulus photoreceptors);

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 13, 1994
                                                   Touristic Excursion

Payne, USA (Inositol 1,4,5,triphosphate and phototransduction in Limulus);
Pepe, I (Invertebrate visual pigment regeneration);

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 14, 1994
Musio, I (Extraocular photosensitivity in invertebrates);
Vorobyev, Russia/D (Discrimination of natural colours and receptor spectral
sensitivity functions);
Taddei-Ferretti, I (Photosensitivity of a Cnidarian lacking photoreceptive
organs);
Vorobyev, Russia/D (Costs and benefits of increasing the dimensionality of
colour vision system);
                                          Panel Discussion of Session 2
SESSION 3 -  PHOTORECEPTION AND PHOTOTRANSDUCTION OF VERTEBRATES
Giulio, I (Sensory transduction in the rod outer segments of Vertebrates);
Pepe, I (Molecular events of phototransduction);
                                                         Social Dinner

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 15, 1994
Rispoli, I (cGMP channel, exchanger and phototransduction in isolated rod
outer segments);
Kaupp, D (Signaling in Vertebrate photoreceptors: a tale of two
intracellular messengers);
Kaupp, D (Cyclic nucleotide-gated channels - a novel family of membrane
receptors);
Caretta, I (Distribution of cyclic nucleotide binding sites during
development in frog and rodent photoreceptors);
Marchiafava, I (Electrophysiology of isolated retinal double cones);
Kusmic, I (Phototransduction in pineal photoreceptors of Teleosts);
Piccolino, I (Cross-talk  between cones and horizontal cells through the
feed-back circuit in the Vertebrate retina);

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 16, 1994
Vallerga, I (600 millions of years of vision evolution);
                                           Panel Discussion of Session 3
                                                      General Discussion.

                                INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL ON
                     "BIOCYBERNETICS OF VISION: INTEGRATIVE
                      MECHANISMS AND COGNITIVE PROCESSES"

                                    Tentative Program of  Lessons

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 16, 1994
SESSION 1 - INTEGRATIVE MECHANISMS OF VISION
Vallerga, I (Processing visual information in Vertebrate retinae);

MONDAY, OCTOBER 17, 1994
Patterson, UK (Structural and functional organization of the Cephalopod
retina);
Hengstenberg, D (The organization of the gaze control in the blowfly
Calliphora);
Hengstenberg, D (The sensation of self-motion in the blowfly Calliphora);
Patterson, UK (Information processing in the Insect ocellar pathway);
Buizza, I (The oculomotor system: basic mechanisms and possible
relationships with vision);
Di Maio, I (Filtering of input images and visual perception of geometrical
figures);
                                             Panel Discussion of Session 1

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 18, 1994
SESSION 2 - VISUAL PERCEPTION AND COGNITIVE PROCESSES
Fiorentini, I (Visual field asymmetries and local anisotropies in pattern
discrimination: a signal of cortical asymmetries);
Hochstein, IL (Neuronal response plasticity);
Hochstein, IL (Perceptual learning specificity);
Fiorentini, I (Interhemispheric transfer of visual information: a cross-talk
between the two cerebral hemispheres);
Marzi, I (Parallel visual pathways: anatomo-physiological and perceptual
carachteristics);
Mingolla, USA (A multi-scale network model of brightness perception);
Garcia-Perez, E (Decision processes in spatial vision: Detection rules);

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 19, 1994
                                                   Touristic Excursion
Mingolla, USA (Recent results in emergent visual segmentation);
Mallot, D (Simple mechanisms in  stereoscopic depth perception);

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 20, 1994
Gerbino, I (Figural completion);
Giulio, I (Time-as-information in visual information processing);
Marzi, I (Visual attention: neural and cognitive bases);
Pizzamiglio, I (Visual neglect);
Radilova, CZ (Temporal aspects in visual perception and cognition);
Riani, I (The possible roles of noise in the processing of visual signal);
Taddei-Ferretti, I (Multistable ambiguous pattern perception and top-down
interaction);
                                                         Social Dinner

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 21, 1994
Magnani, I (Toward and theory of visual abductive thinking);
                                            Panel Discussion of Session 2

SESSION 3 - (FROM ANIMAL VISION TO) MACHINE VISION
Mallot, D (View-based navigation: Obstacle avoidance and maze exploration);
Savini, I (Active vision);
Savini, I (Visual emergence);
Cordella, I (Shape primitives from visual patterns);
Franceschini, F (Combined optical, neuroanatomical and electrophysiological
analyses of signal processing in the fly compound eye);

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 22, 1994
Franceschini, F (A mobile robot with a fly compoud eye);
                                          Panel Discussion of Session 3
                                                     General Discussion.

FOR INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:

Dr. CARLO MUSIO
Istituto di Cibernetica, CNR,
Via Toiano, 6
80072 - Arco Felice (NA), ITALY
Tel: +39 +81-8534131/113; Fax: +39 +81-5267654
e-mail (personal): camus at imagm.na.cnr.it
e-mail (Neurosystem Group): neurosist at imagm.na.cnr.it