BioMoo neuroscience journal club

Martin Leach leach at mbcrr.harvard.edu
Thu Mar 31 23:13:37 EST 1994

In article <2nfour$3p4 at emoryu1.cc.emory.edu>, meddjw at emoryu1.cc.emory.edu
(Donald Wigston) wrote:

> Does anyone know what a Moo or a Mud is?
>
> I got into the BioMoo yesterday and it strike me as an awful timewaster.
> Can anyone tell me honestly that it is worthwhile?  I found an abstract in
> there that was quite interesting, but in the time it took I could have
> read a couple of papers in J. Neurosci.
>
> If you do venture into the BioMoo, remember to get out you type @quit.
> Took me a while to figure that one out, but then I am a MAC user and not a
> command line type of guy.

MOO stands for mud object oriented
mud stands for multi-user dimension.

Can be a timewaster if u dont use it as a tool!
Most of us that use it can communicate with other scientists across the
world. To discuss science or whatever. Some of us (with programmers status)
are writing programs to use with certain objects that model things in
science. eg. periodic table, electrophysiological experiments, dna
manipulation, synthesis etc.. to name but a few things.

We also have people there that are writing programs for other people to
use. for eg. I myself am writing a program so that DNA or protein sequence
searches can be performed (via email) while inside biomoo. This is a
valuable tool for many protein or DNA scientists....

If u go in there to have just a good time and fool around it is a
timewaster.! And we encourage people to leave and join another virtual
society such as lambdamoo. BioMOO is just taking off. Give us a chance!
It's use for collaboration and the teaching of science is still developing.

Martin Leach

.....          Martin Leach                Email:leach at mbcrr.harvard.edu
 _/  |-/__==/  80 E. Concord St. (L603)
p.s. try BioMOO (virtual biology on the internet - telnet
bioinfo.weizmann.ac.il 8888)