[Q] Diagrams of brains & neuroanatomy

Michael Hucka hucka at krusty.eecs.umich.edu
Thu Mar 31 15:48:35 EST 1994

I'd like to be able to include some illustrative diagrams of brain sections
of human and monkey brains in my dissertation work and in reports.  The sort
of thing you see in Kandel, Schwartz, and Jessell's _Principles of Neural
Science_, in Zeki's _A Vision of the Brain_, and in Scientific American
articles such as in the special issue of September '92.  It is time-consuming
to reproduce such diagrams, even with a good Macintosh drawing program, and
anyway my artistic skills are no match for those of the original artists.

Can anyone recommend some free, good quality brain sections suitable for
illustrative purposes and available in electronic form?  I can convert
virtually any electronic format to whatever I need, so things like bitmaps,
RGB files, TIFF, PostScript, etc., are all fine.

If there are commercially available sources for this kind of thing, I'd be
interested in finding out about them too.
--
-- Mike Hucka
   University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.