IUBio Biosequences .. Software .. Molbio soft .. Network News .. FTP

leaded crystal - toxicity?

Amy Seaman seamana at carn6.alleg.edu
Tue Mar 29 15:56:17 EST 1994


	Yes, lead is extremely toxic and has been proven repeatedly to  
cause neurological damage, in humans as well as laboratory animals.  It is  
thought that the fall of the Roman Empire was somewhat due to the fact  
that they stored food and drink in leaded containers.  So, I would advise  
that if you have been storing drinks in leaded crystal that you dispose of  
it and not use it again.  
	I have just completed my undergraduate senior thesis on lead  
toxicity, and as many other researchers have found, the lead caused  
significant behavioral impairments in the rats.  They were seen to receive  
significantly fewer reinforcers on an IRT>15 second schedule in the  
operant chamber.  Several studies have also been done on children who have  
been exposed to lead, mostly by participating in pica, the eating of paint  
chips.  These children have been placed in special ed classes, have been  
seen to be hyperactive, have slowed reaction times, attention deficit  
disorder, etc.  So, yes, according to hundreds of studies lead is very  
neurologically damaging, and not a good chemical to mess with.



More information about the Neur-sci mailing list

Send comments to us at biosci-help [At] net.bio.net