Detection of moving images?

Kate McCain MCCAINKW%DUVM.BITNET at PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU
Wed Mar 23 09:49:08 EST 1994

hucka at engin.umich.edu (Michael Hucka) writes:

>2) Does anyone know of any creature that has some sort of vision system but
>cannot sense visual motion?

Just a comment -- I must presume from the answers to this question that have
been posted so far that <<neuroscience>> netters have a particular and fairly
complex implicit definition of "visual system" that generally includes all the
apparatus necessary to detect visual motion and thus a restricted definition
of "creature."

I am familiar with a wide range of invertebrates that have fairly rudimentary
"vision systems" -- light sensing organs, etc. in planktonic larvae of sessile
organisms such as bryozoans for instance (and then there are the blue-eyed
scallops  8-)  )

 I think an interesting side question might be "under what environmental/
evolutionary conditions would detection of visual motion not be necessary or
likely to be selected for.

Kate McCain                       "die Gedankenexperimente sind frei!!"
College of Information Studies
Drexel University

mccainkw at duvm.ocs.drexel.edu