[Q] Visual detection of moving vs. stationary stimuli

Michael Hucka hucka at engin.umich.edu
Tue Mar 22 23:09:39 EST 1994

I'd like to learn whether the ability to detect moving stimuli is always
present in creatures that have visual capabilities.  Specifically:

1) Are we able to say whether the ability to detect moving stimuli in vision
is any more fundamental than the ability to detect stationary stimuli?  I.e.,
is there any theory about whether vision first evolved to detect moving
stimuli and only later developed the ability to also detect stationary
stimuli (say, stationary objects), or vice versa?

2) Does anyone know of any creature that has some sort of vision system but
cannot sense visual motion?

Thanks for any suggestions or leads.
--
-- Mike Hucka
   University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.