Cortical Architectures

Etienne Pralong epralong at iphysiol.unil.ch
Tue Mar 15 09:38:03 EST 1994

In article <5EzI-9a.ken5 at delphi.com> Ken Easlon <ken5 at delphi.com> writes:
>From: Ken Easlon <ken5 at delphi.com>
>Subject: Re: Cortical Architectures
>Date: Mon, 7 Mar 94 21:04:58 -0500

>erwin at trwacs.fp.trw.com (Harry Erwin) writes in
><2lcq4g$2v7 at truffula.fp.trw.com>:

>> 5. Anyone have a clue as to the function of the cortical
>> neurons that use neuropeptide transmitters?

In article <5EzI-9a.ken5 at delphi.com> Ken Easlon <ken5 at delphi.com> writes:
>From: Ken Easlon <ken5 at delphi.com>
>Subject: Re: Cortical Architectures
>Date: Mon, 7 Mar 94 21:04:58 -0500

>erwin at trwacs.fp.trw.com (Harry Erwin) writes in
><2lcq4g$2v7 at truffula.fp.trw.com>:

>> 5. Anyone have a clue as to the function of the cortical
>> neurons that use neuropeptide transmitters?

VIP at least has 2 important actions.

1_: It icreases cAMP formation and hydrolysis of glycogen in cerebral
cortex (mainly in astrocytes),  this action is potentiated by noradrenaline
(see Tips 1990, 11: 250-254)

2_ It modulates the synaptic transmission between cortical cells

More generally, my opinion which can be wrong  is that neuropeptides are
neuromodulators and/or contransmittors in the CNS. In contrasts to glutamate
or GABA, they are usually inactive in most of the cortical areas but in the
good nucleus of the brainstem they can have profound effects.