URGENT: Searching for Canadians

Judith Shedden shedden at neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu
Thu Mar 10 15:55:00 EST 1994

  Dear Colleagues:
  I am trying to reach as many Canadian grad students
and post docs as I can, as soon as possible.  I am
sending you the following message so that, even if
you are not Canadian yourself, you might know of
Canadian students studying abroad and be able to put
me in touch with them.  Feel free to forward this
message to Canadians in the US or any other foreign
country.  (grad students AND post docs).
  Judy

  Dear fellow Canadians:
  As some of you are probably aware, there are major
changes happening at NSERC, some of which are going
to be devastating to individual researchers, especially
those of us who are just finishing up and may be
applying for first-time research grants soon.  The
following is a message outlining some of the dangers
we are facing.  An email network is being set up right
now to disseminate information as quickly as possible
to those people who are going to be affected by this,
so that action can be taken before it is too late.
Graduate students and post-docs studying abroad, who
intend on returning to Canada, are a very important
part of this group.
  I am going to be the node on this network through
which information will be forwarded to Canadian students
studying abroad.  If any of you are interested in
forthcoming information, please send me your email addresses.
In addition, please pass this information to any other
Canadians abroad, and get them to send me email addresses.
Of course, I'll be happy to put email addresses of those
who are still IN Canada on my list as well.
  As you will read in the following message, this is an
urgent matter.  I need to establish the alias list at my
node as soon as possible.  Please help me by sending me
names and email addresses (or if you don't have email
addresses, then phone numbers), of ANY Canadian grad
students and post docs studying in the US or any other
foreign country.  Please do not delay -- do this right
now while you're thinking about it -- I need email
addresses today.
  Thank you!
  Judy

Judith M. Shedden     (412)624-7055    (412)683-0721
523 Learning Research and Development Center
University of Pittsburgh
3939 O'Hara Street
Pittsburgh, PA   15260
email:   shedden at vms.cis.pitt.edu

BEGINNING of Forwarded message:
Forwarded by shedden at vms.cis.pitt.edu

TOPIC: Elimination of NSERC Research Grants Program

FROM: Chris Herdman (Carleton University)
      Vince Dilollo (University of Alberta)
      Mike Masson (University of Victoria)

Dear Colleague:

We are writing to (a) inform you of the planned
elimination of the NSERC Research Grants Program
(formerly the Operating Grants Program) and (b) plead
for your assistance in establishing an EMAIL NETWORK
though which all current, former, and potential NSERC
Grantees (in all disciplines) will be informed of
events.

BACKGROUND.  Stated simply, the NSERC Research Grants
Program is being eliminated.  The President of NSERC
(Peter Morand) has expressed a "vision" in which the
Research Grants Program is replaced with other team
oriented initiatives within 10 years.  This "vision"
has already been put into place:  This year NSERC took
funds from the Research Grants Program and reallocated
the money to the Collaborative Research Program.  In
Psychology, the resultant budget cuts were so severe
that the Granting Committee was forced to execute an
average cut of 16% to Research Grant renewals.
Moreover, there was no new money for first-time
applicants.  Next year and in the year after the
program will be reduced even further.

END of forwarded message.