neuroplasticity

Eric Wassermann ewass at helix.nih.gov
Mon Mar 7 09:45:33 EST 1994

In article <1994Mar6.200627.17167 at news.yale.edu>,
FRICHARD at biomed.med.yale.edu (Frank Richardson) wrote:

> In <ik93.762979812 at sol> ik93 at sol.acs.unt.edu writes:
>
> > I am interested in studies or articles about neuroplasticity especially
> > from a medical perspective.  I am trying to convince an orthopedic
> > surgeon that change within the nervous system is possible.  He is of the
> > opinion that the CNS is a static or slowly deteriorating system.  Any
> > help would be appreciated.
>
> Oh brother. Where did this guy go to med school? MARS?!? If change weren't
> possible in the nervous system, how would learning be possible??? READ ANY
> BASIC text on neurobio and you should find reference to changes in the CNS.

Medical school and neurobiology texts do not, in general, teach much about
evidence for what most people mean by plasticity (as distinct from
learning),  in the primate or human CNS.

I would search Medline under authors like M. Merzenich, R. Nudo and T. Pons
for animals and L. Cohen and A. Pascual-Leone for humans, with key words
like plasticity and learning,

                                      As far as I know,
Eric Wassermann                       The opinions expressed are not
Human Motor Control Section           those of the Federal Government,
NINDS, NIH                            the U.S. Public Health Service
                                      or the National Institutes of Health