HELP: Electrical and neurological connection

Maurizio MORABITO; Tel.6661 iv001 at nibh.go.jp
Fri Mar 4 21:54:16 EST 1994

In article <2l62hg$ql1 at usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> ery2 at po.CWRU.Edu (Edwin R. Yeh) writes:

 -:If you are talking about the afferent nerves (i.e. sensory nerves that
 -:travel "toward" the nervous system as an "input" or "feedback") that's
 -:a different ball game there. Since this involves individual perception
 -:and interpretation (and mostly "pain"), less experiments have been
 -:conducted. (It's difficult to design an animal experiment to study the
 -:animal's "perception". Moreover, even if it's successful it's difficult
 -:to transfer the knowledge for the human beings.) But I've heard some
 -:researchers had done some works in the sensory area (MIT?). I haven't
 -:been able to locate any references, but if you know, I'd like to know.
 -:
 -:Of course, there are also pioneering works done in auditory and visual
 -:prosthesis where intracortical electrode arrays are used to directly
 -:stimulate the respective cortex. And patients have reported hearing
 -:sounds and seeing "stars" as a result. But remember neurons and its axons
 -:are tiny (in the micron range [1x10e-9 m]) and "selective" activation
 -:is a BIG problem. Sure they can work but if one's head is banged hard
 -:enough, who's to say one wouldn't hear sounds or see stars. :-) Got my
 -:point?
 -:
For some examples, I suggest
Brindley G S et al
The Sensations Produced By Electrical Stimulation Of The Visual Cortex
J Physiol 1968-196-479/493

Brindley G S
Blindness,Neural Prosthesis
Birkhauser (Adelman G Ed = Enc Neurosc) 1989-136/137

Sandyk R et al
Attenuation Of Epilepsy With Application Of External Magnetic Field: A Case Report
Int J Neurosc 1992-66-75/85

hi!
maurizio