Q: Definition of handedness ?

Dag Stenberg stenberg at cc.Helsinki.FI
Thu Mar 3 14:42:26 EST 1994

Stefan Kolodzie (kolodzie at uni-duesseldorf.de) wrote:
> Hello, all out there

> While working on several topics concerning human motor control, I am
> wondering, whether there exists a definition for 'handedness'. Up to now
> there seems to be a common sense definition only, for example 'handedness
> relates to the _preferred_ hand a person is using'.
> Does anybody have more specific information about this?

I do not think there _should_ be any 100% definition. Or _can_ be.
For example, _I_ am definitely left-handed, and was at 14 unable to
learn to write with my right ("just in case"). But I use cups and
glasses with my right, and I plane a board with absolutely equal ease
in both directions. What I would really love to know is which is my dominat
spatial hemisphere. Because in the asymmetric facial expression figure I
do opposite from right-handers, but in a jazz dance room I prefer to
have the teacher on my right to appreciate easier what is happening,
although I also keep the telefone to my right ear, because it is easier
to understand speech from that side.
  So if _my_ brain is lateralized, it is not so in any logical way
described by Jerre Levy.

Dag Stenberg                               stenberg at cc.helsinki.fi
Department of Physiology                   stenberg at finuh.bitnet
P.O.Box 9                                  tlx: 1002125 finuh sf
    (Siltavuorenpenger 20 J)               fax: int.+358-0-1918681
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki,Finland   tel: int.+358-0-1918532
        X.400:   /C=FI/A=FUMAIL/P=INET/O=HELSINKI/OU=CC/S=STENBERG/