Mandelbrot set & Platonic mathematics

ming of mongo ming at kaiwan.com
Wed Feb 16 04:17:48 EST 1994

Leon Avery (leon at eatworms.swmed.edu) wrote:

: This is a bit of an overstatement.  Like all of the most fundamental
: mathematical problems, chaos theory is simple at the core.  Robert
: May's Nature paper (long time ago, 1980 or so?) on the logistic
: equation sets forthe the basic problems and some of the prettiest
: early results is a very simple way.  I seem to remember there was also
: a Scientific American article, perhaps Mathematical Games, about the
: time.

	People can explain the most complex things in a simple way if
they abridge the subject far enough, but I admit I have a tendancy toward
overstatement.  The subject of Chaos intriqued me, so I read up, as best
I could, but found the material lacking.  Anything that wasn't a step
away from voodoo, was beyond my math powers.  So, I'm back to school.
	The more I understand, the more full of it the coffeehouse black
berret crowd seems.  Any guidence on bridging the knowledge gap would be
appreciated!