Hearing - up to date theories?

Peter Marvit marvit at cattell.psych.upenn.edu
Thu Feb 10 16:11:07 EST 1994

Let me second the recommendation for Moore's (third edition) book,
"Introduction to the Psychology of Hearing." It tends to be the first
place I go for references.  It *is* a bit shy on the physiology side,
however.  Pickles is also good, but a bit dated already.  If you're
*really* interested in the physiology side, there are several new books
out in the series edited by Edelman from Springer-Verlag (? I think).
Expensive, though.

A side note about hearing research.  One of the major difficulties, IMHO,
is physiological investigations are *much* more difficult than for
vision.  You can pop an eyeball out and it will still function.  You can
remove the retina and plop it into a petri dish and you can still record.
However, the middle ear bones are the body's tiniest held together by
even tinier muscles on the other side of a bony plate.  The cochlea is a
compressed fluid-filled chamber completely enclosed by bone.  Just
getting *at* the structures is a major undertaking and involves the loss
of structural integrity at some point, let alone trying to directly
stimultae or record!

	-Peter "sticking with human psychoacoutics" Marvit

: Peter Marvit <marvit at psych.upenn.edu>,   Psychology Dept,  Univ. of Penn :
: 3815 Walnut St., Philadelphia, PA 19104  w:215/898-6274 fax:215/898-7301 :