activity-dependent dyes

Peter D. Brodfuehrer pbrodfue at cc.brynmawr.edu
Mon Feb 7 10:53:23 EST 1994

Has anyone tried using activity-dependent dyes, such as sulforohodamine
101 to determine the number of neurons that are active during the
execution of a motor program?  I know that  that this technique has been
used in the in vitro turtle brainstem-cerebellum preparation. I'm
interested in trying it in the leech to identify populations of neurons
in the head ganglion that are active during swimming.  We have had very
limited success so far.