Epilepsy Question

Chris Nielsen cnielsen at engr.uvic.ca
Fri Nov 12 20:18:47 EST 1993

A Question about Epilepsy

How and to what extent does stress effect the strength/frequency of epileptic
seizures, and especially temporal lobe (psychomotor) epilepsy?
I heard from one neurologist that the only reason that stress effects
epilepsy is that they do not sleep as well when they are under stress.
It seems to me that one could have had a good night's sleep and a stressful
event will exhaust them.  Often, epileptic seizures will occur when the victim
is tired, so wouldn't stress bring on or intensify seizures?

I am asking this question because I am not as knowledgeable in the subject as
a neurologist, but what this neurologist said did not make sense to me.  A
response from anyone with experience would be appreciated.

E-Mail or Post response.
Thanx in advance

cnielsen at engr.uvic.ca