Acetylcholinesterase-Alzheimers Question?????

Dan Jacobson danj at welchgate.welch.jhu.edu
Wed Jan 6 13:02:18 EST 1993

pmuniyap at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu writes:

>     Is there any evidence to support that the neuro-enzyme
>Acetylcholinesterase (AChE) is associated with any diseases?  For eg,
>Alzheimers Disease.  I have just started a research project involving AChE and
>I am curious of the potential for continued research in this area.

This is a good question to ask the database known as ONLINE MENDELIAN
INHERITANCE IN MAN (OMIM).  There are several ways that you can access
this database.  Probably the easiest is by Gopher or Wais.  If you have
gopher, point it at merlot.welch.jhu.edu (port 70).  Go to the

13. Search Databases at Welchlab (Cloning Vectors, Euk. Promoters, NRL_3D, OMIM)

directory and select the following search -

 -->  5.  OMIM - Online Mendelian Inheritance Man <?>

A search with the word Acetylcholinesterase returns the following entries:

 -->  1.  *100740 ACETYLCHOLINESTERASE [ACETYLCHOLINE ACETYLHYDROLASE; ACHE].
      2.  100680 ACETYLCHOLINESTERASE EXPRESSION [ACEE; REGULATOR OFACETYLC.
      3.  254190 MYASTHENIA, CONGENITAL, REFRACTORY TO ACETYLCHOLINESTERASE.
      4.  #112100 BLOOD GROUP--Yt SYSTEM [YT; CARTWRIGHT].
      5.  *177400 PSEUDOCHOLINESTERASE, E(1) [CHE1; BUTYRYLCHOLINESTERASE;B.
      6.  *254210 MYASTHENIA GRAVIS, FAMILIAL INFANTILE [FIMG; MYASTHENIA,C.
      7.  *114836 CARBOXYLESTERASE, LIVER.
      8.  *118503 CHOLINERGIC RECEPTOR, NEURONAL NICOTINIC, ALPHA POLYPEPTI.
      9.  *178630 PULMONARY SURFACTANT APOPROTEIN PSP-A [PSAP; SURFACTANT-A.

Now you can select the desired entries, read them and save them on your machine
if you'd like.

If you'd rather connect by Wais the source is as follows:

(:source
   :version  3
   :ip-address "128.220.59.10"
   :ip-name "welchlab.welch.jhu.edu"
   :tcp-port 210
   :database-name "omim"
   :cost 0.00
   :cost-unit :free
   :maintainer "francois at welch.jhu.edu"
   :subjects "science genetics medicine chromosomes biology mendelian"
)

Best of luck,

Dan Jacobson

danj at welchgate.welch.jhu.edu