Brain Sag (was: Cerebro-spinal fluid in semen?)

Crystal crystal at glia.biostr.washington.edu
Tue Oct 20 10:50:34 EST 1992

In <27039 at castle.ed.ac.uk> pck at castle.ed.ac.uk (P C Knox) writes:

>>I have had the unfortunate experiance of needing to have some of my spinal
>>fluid removed for testing. They use a somewhat large needle for this (not
>>painful though) and in many cases, including mine, the hole left by the
>>puncture continues to leak for a while. This leakage is often great enough
>>that the brain does "sag" under its now unsupported weight (at least according
>>to the explaination the Drs. gave me. Let me tell you that this does not cause
>>any relaxation leading to sleep. In my case it let to the worst headache I hope
>>to ever have coupled with 30 hours of uncontrolled vomitting. It was horrible.
>>If those sensations resulted from sex then there would be no people.

>>David		doshay at soma.arc.nasa.gov

>This all sounds strange if plausible. I wonder if there are some
>clinicians on the net who would like to comment? Are the volumes of CSF
>removed not a very small proportion of the total? Are these symptoms
>common? Is there a magic threshold for producing such symptoms?

>Thanks in anticipation....

>Paul Knox

When I was 17, I, too, had a spinal tap.  The only thing I remember from it
was pain in my back for quite some time.  Half a life-time later, I find, in
the same area of my back, a "partially" ruptured disc.  I wonder if there is
a connection here...?  But I don't recall any vomiting or headaches of any
memorable exaggeration. :>   Maybe different people react differently?

Hmmmm....maybe the situation was worse than I consciously remember - as I
am writing, my back is starting to hurt and nausea is welling up inside. I'd
best froget this meomory and log off....

Crystal

ZZ